[Tutor] Questions

Diana Katz diana.katz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 20:01:44 EDT 2019

1) Can you use python from excel? Or just export to excel?
2) I am trying to see if there's a way using python to automate all of this
work that I need to do. I have to collect quarterly segment data for
hundreds of public companies and go back at least 12-16 quarters. We use an
aggregator like factset and they actually don't have this option available
in an automated way. So I'm trying to see if there's a way to build this.
Basically, I get my data from sec.gov and they have interactive data - they
even have the data in excel (though it's a messy file and hard to read). I
attached some of the steps and the data that i'd want to see.
Basically i'd want the excel to look like:
old to new quarters - going back 12 to 16 quarters (more if possible but
not if it will stop the project).
 Columns: 3/31/2017, 6/30/2017, 9/30/17, 12/31/17, 3/313/2018...
Rows:
Sales for segment A
Sales for Segment b
Sales for SEgment C
…(for as many segments as they have)

Earnings for Segment A
.Earnings for Segment B

Depreciation for Segment A
Depreciation for Segment B
Depreciation for Segment C...

I included where I get the data in the attached document.

All the best,

Diana Katz