[Tutor] "Python not recognized as a command"

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 1 15:44:59 EDT 2018

On 01/09/18 18:40, Dana O'Connor wrote:

> I've been trying to download and use Python 3.7 for the past few days

How exactly did you download it (from which site and in which format?)
And how did you then install it?

> every time I try to open it it tells me I don't have "pip"

That seems unlikely, I've never seen an OS give a warning
about pip when trying to open Python.

Can you tell us:
1) The OS you use - Linux? MacOSX? Windows? Something else?
2) The exact command you type (and from where)
3) The exact error message you get not a summary.

> the command "python" is not even recognized by the system even

Again the exact command used and the exact error
message please.

> doesn't my computer acknowledge Python when it has been downloaded (and
> redownloaded) several times on my computer?

It mat be that although you downloaded it you didn't
install it? Or maybe the installer didn't set a PATH
value properly?

But we need much more specific information to
do anything other than guess.

The US education system is a perpetual mystery to me.
Can you explain, just for my curiosity:

> Allegheny College, Class of 2019

I thought "class of" was the year you graduated from
high school but clearly that can't be true here.
So what does "class of 2019" refer to?

> Beta Chi Tutor,

I've seen references to Beta Chi before but have
no idea what it is, or how you would tutor it?
Can you explain what it is? (I probably should
just google it!)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site