[Tutor] Displaying Status on the Command Line

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 14:15:09 EST 2018

On 07/11/2018 16:22, Chip Wachob wrote:

> What I would like to do is display, on a single line, in the terminal
> / command line a progress percentage, or, simply a sequence of - / -
> \, etc.. or even, accumulating period characters.
>
> What would the escape codes be, or is there a better way to handle this?

It depends on your Python version.
In Python v2 you simply put a comma after your output
character to turn off the auto newline

while someProcess():    # should probably be in a separate thread...
   time.sleep(1)  # 1 second pause
   print '.',     # comma suppresses newline

If you want to suppress the spaces tyoo things
get a tad more complex and you are probably best
writing direct to sys.stdout

In Python 3 there are parameters to print()

while someProcess():
   time.sleep(1)
   print('.', end='', sep='')   # no newline and no spaces

You shouldn't need any special escape codes.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site