[Tutor] RAD GUI Development (like Visual Studio/VBA)

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Jun 29 12:02:45 EDT 2018

On 06/29/2018 09:05 AM, Glen wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Can someone advise on a RAD, drag and drop style graphical form/dialog
> creator? Akin to VBA or Visual Studio that will work with Python?
>
> I currently use the PyCharm IDE, which is fantastic. But I don't have the
> time or the skill to craft it all by hand.

The difficulty with this question is there are so many GUI toolkits for
Python, you first have to figure out which one you want to target.

There's Tkinter, which is one of the batteries in the Python "batteries
included" concept; however many articles and blogs which talk about what
to use instead start with a statement that Tk is ugly, so I presume it
must be true if so oft repeated.

There is also Qt by way of PyQt (or PySide), Gtk+ (pyGObject), wxPython,
PyForms, PyGui, fltk, Kivy, just to rattle off a few - I'm sure there
are more.

In my limited experience, I know some people were quite happy with using
Qt Designer and then generating Python code from the result - there's a
tool for that (pyuic?).  But last I heard about doing this was years and
years ago and the state of the art has probably advanced.