[Tutor] In matplotlib, why are there axes classes vs. axes API? Why not list them under one documentation?

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat Jun 16 11:52:47 EDT 2018

On 06/15/2018 10:49 PM, Mike C wrote:
> I can only compare to the R language I've used. If there is an issue, say a function freezes at startup, one user brings it up to the list, when the respective maintainer sees the bug, it is usually addressed on the next release.

Sure.  So that suggests you ought to bring this up to the matplotlib
community, and see if they are similarly responsive. We here are not
connected to it, we only seek to give general advice to extent we are
able to.

> In terms of funding. Isn't Python heavily used in industry, so, financial contribution should've been huge, no?

There's not really a connection... matplotlib is written in Python, yes,
but as a discrete project is only going to attract interest from those
who have a use for it, not from the broader "everybody who uses Python
for something" community.  As would be the case for any independent open
source project, irrespective of what programming language it is written
in.  And that is indeed one of the differences between open source and
commercial development... if there's not a company behind it, the nature
of responses is likely to be different.  Which is not to say commercial
companies prioritize things the way you'd want either.  I have recently
proposed to one company that shall remain unnamed because this is only
an example, not any attempt to cast blame, an improvement they could
make to their project through a system they provide to propose features,
and to vote on features others have proposed.  That feature now has 20
votes and I was excited a lot of people agreed with me.  I just heard
through independent channels that that company's developers don't even
look at suggestions until the votes number in the thousands. Guess it's
not happening...