[Tutor] look back comprehensively

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 24 04:14:38 EST 2018

On 24/12/2018 05:25, Asokan Pichai wrote:

> That said, sometimes text processing at the shell can precede or even
> replace some of these. Of course that assumes Unix/Linux OS.

It's a good point except that any OS will do.
Even MS DOS had basic text processing commands suitable
for filtering lines of interest and OS' like DEC VMS
or IBM MVS are every bit as powerful as *nix for
text processing.

But the basic principle of using the best tool for the
job applies and often pre-processing in the OS before
running a Python script is sound advice.

In fact for most log file analysis I still use [ng]awk.
Its hard to beat the simplicity of regex based event
handling for slicing text files.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site