[Tutor] graphics library for teaching Python

Mike Barnett mike_barnett at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:15:02 EST 2018

>There are two sub-topics I'm interested in - (1) graphics, as in drawing interesting pictures or art, or using diagrams for data visualization. (2) Simple games, with the use of sprites.

Can you post some images of similar programs / graphics you are wanting to create?  It would be extremely helpful to see concrete "targets".  Then I can better inform you if PySimpleGUI is capable of doing what you seek.

I've recently been writing more games using PySimpleGUI to see what's missing in the SDK, to determine new features that will help developers.

For data visualization, there's Matplotlib and Pyplot, both integrate with PySimpleGUI very well.  Someone mentioned Turtle, it too integrates well by using a tkinter canvas.

I've been doing simple graphs by using the drawing primitives and games using images that I often include in the source code.  The Uno Game for example has all of the cards included in the .py file.

Some examples:

Bar chart:
https://gist.github.com/MikeTheWatchGuy/fd79baad627ae879bb74437427ad4ff0

Simple Matplotlib:
https://gist.github.com/MikeTheWatchGuy/33579888cd976e2ef0231869bba38bb4

Simple plotting - sine wave:
https://gist.github.com/MikeTheWatchGuy/397b681d1b3863a74936724fdfd1ea34

Scrolling bar chart:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/47611749-18964c80-da42-11e8-93c4-6821a6fce488.gif

Matplotlib integration:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/50046965-cb664c80-007a-11e9-9470-b7d1ab3fa20e.gif

Some simple games

Conway's Game of Life:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/50244709-9e79a880-039e-11e9-9b51-733357a87c68.gif

Uno Card Game:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/49945232-67952580-feba-11e8-90c8-7dc31c5f7c67.gif

Turtle:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/49346588-b644f300-f662-11e8-8c83-44c74aedf89f.gif

A Crossword Puzzle GUI:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/47968340-98ba4480-e036-11e8-9d44-8a39ac174533.jpg

Chess GUI:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13696193/47380967-b6012180-d6cc-11e8-946d-a646921fb8d0.gif

These are all tkinter based examples.

While PySimpleGUI does have a Qt port, it's not as complete when it comes to these graphics primitives and integration with Matplotlib.

-mike