[Tutor] graphics library for teaching Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 03:38:47 EST 2018

On 21/12/2018 04:16, Michael Mossey wrote:
> I'm a computer science tutor and I'm asking advice about a graphics or game
> library that can be used with Python effectively for teaching purposes.

I'll start by saying that Python is not the berst programming language
for graphics. However there are some other options beyond those you mention:

> There are two sub-topics I'm interested in - (1) graphics, as in drawing
> interesting pictures or art, or using diagrams for data visualization.

The turtle module gives a basic intro yto drawing shapes and
introduces an interesting alternative to traditional cartesian
coordinate geometry.

The Tkinter module includes a Canvas widget that supports graphic primitives

The gnuplot and matplotlib packages allow plotting of data.
Neither is in the standard library but can be easily installed.

The SciPy bundle comes with a neat tool for visualisaton
which might be useful. Especially for older students with a
knowledge of math - you don't specify the target age group.

Finally Dabo includes a graphical GUI builder and database
integration. I haven't used it for several years so I'm not
sure on its current development status but it seemed to work
well when I tried it.

(2) Simple games, with the use of sprites.

I'm not much of a games person so I'll leave others to comment.

HTH
--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site