[Tutor] Any 'graphical' ways of learning Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 5 09:28:49 EST 2018

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 11:39:49AM +1100, Matthew Polack wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We're using Python with our Year 9 and 10 students to teach programming.

Yay! And I see you're a fellow Aussie :-)

> I've started with basic console programming...doing simple games like a
> quiz game etc.
>
> Students always seem to like 'graphics'..one of the reasons things like
> 'Scratch' are so popular in schools is because of  the ready made GUI.

Indeed.

Alas, graphics is one of Python's weaknesses, especially at the
beginners' level.

The easiest to use will be the turtle module, although its fairly
limited in what it does. Its basically a simulation of the turtle
from the Logo programming language. Logo was cutting edge about half a
century ago.

You might try PyGame, although I don't know how easy it will be for you
to pre-install it for the students, or how difficult it is to use (I've
never used it myself).

https://www.pygame.org/

Another option is PySimpleGUI:

https://pypi.org/project/PySimpleGUI/