[Tutor] Building a Package

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Aug 21 20:22:03 EDT 2018

On 08/21/2018 11:53 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
> On 21/08/18 14:10, Glenn Schultz via Tutor wrote:
>
>> Either I am a complete moron or packaging python is a poorly documented nightmare.
>
> I suspect the latter is true to some extent.
> To be fair Python packaging was a complete mess for
> many years with competing technologies and tools.
> It is only in the last 3 years or so that things
> have settled down so it wouldn't surprise me if
> the documentation is still catching up.
>
> However, I virtually never build packages so can't
> really comment, but hopefully somebody else can help.
>
> What would be more useful to such a person is if
> you can send the actual code and error messages,
> since saying you had to comment out 70% of the
> lines because of warnings doesn't really tell us very
> much. It may be that you could safely ignore the
> warnings or it may indicate a more serious
> underlying error. But as of now we are just
> guessing.

I don't think packaging has made anybody really happy for... like...
forever.  I put this video on my to-watch list when scanning the PyCon
material from this year's US event. Haven't watched it yet - maybe this
is the prod needed! - but I'm hoping it's a coherent "current state of
the art" report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQsZsgJ30AE