[Tutor] OT: how to best follow the posting style on this list

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 10:37:15 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Albert-Jan Roskam
<sjeik_appie at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I often read messages to this list from my Android from the mobile Hotmail page. On other occasions I would read from my browser, from a Windows or a Linux desktop. Howver, Hotmail pretty much sucks when it comes to obeying the posting style [1]. It's even worse than Yahoo mail, which I've also tried (until they got hacked). Is there a recommended way to do this?  Maybe gmail? I prefer to use more or less the same interface across platforms and devices, but this is not crucial. I've also been looking for pan-like apps (not necessarily free) for my Phone, but I couldn't find one that worked. Perhaps because I used a free news server (my ISP doesn't have one).

This is something I have struggled with as well.  For reading purposes
it is usually not much of a problem.  It is when replying to posts
that the trouble begins.  I have settled into Gmail over time, mostly
because it seems to work with my Android phone, iPad, desktop (Linux
or Windows), etc., where my primary goal is to have all of my contact
information well and easily synced.  But I have been unable to to
coerce it to do plain text responses on my iPad for instance.  I used
to be able to do this on my phone, but I have been through at least
two major Android updates to my phone and now the way is not obvious,
if it exists, anymore (Not that I wish to reply to Tutor posts much
from my phone!).  However, I have seen other members of this list
occasionally responding from their phones who are Gmail users, so
perhaps I am being dense.  And even with my desktop usage of Gmail
(Using the Chrome browser in Windows and Firefox for Linux),
occasionally updates have broken my settings and I have had to fiddle
around to regain a fixed width font and default plain text email
settings.

So if there is a better way that would make things uniformly *easy*
across all types of common devices, I would be interested, too!  I
wonder what the people at Google use for lists like Tutor?  I believe
there are some such people on the main list.

--
boB