[Tutor] Resources/Books for teaching OOP in Python and Tkinter

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 07:38:21 EST 2017

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Marie Shaw via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:
> I am a teacher of 16-18 year olds. Since September, my classes have been learning to program in Python, using all of the basics in console mode.
> I now need to teach them OOP using Python, and GUI programming using Python.
> Please could someone one point me in the direction of a good book, or some good teaching resources.
> I already have Python for the Absolute Beginner, by Michael Dawson, and Python in Easy Steps, by Michael McGrath. I like these books and have covered the relevant chapters in them. However, I need to learn more.

There is a sequel to the "Absolute Beginner" book, but by a different
author.  It purports to go into more depth on OOP than the first book.
"More Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner" by Jonathan S.
Harbour:

https://www.amazon.com/More-Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner/dp/1435459806

It continues doing game programming using straight Pygame instead of
that special package (Live Wires?) used in the first book.  I bought
the book once upon a time, but never used it, so I cannot vouch for
how well it does anything.

As for Tkinter/tkinter (Py2/Py3) I have yet to find a dedicated
resource I like.  The two books mentioned by Alan I own and use.
"Python and Tkinter Programming" by Grayson is Python 2-based and is
hard to follow, but has an excellent reference section and many
examples.  But so far the best in my mind seems to be "Programming
Python" by Lutz, which is Python 3-based.  He does a much better job
explaining things; however, he is assuming you are fairly competent in
basic Python, that is, it is a sequel to his other massive tome,
"Learning Python".

Online resources for tkinter are fairly plentiful.

--
boB