[Tutor] Fwd: Re: Python 3.6 Extract Floating Point Data from a Text File

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 30 14:47:14 EDT 2017

How, embarrassing,  I forgot to CC the list! :-)

On 30/04/17 11:09, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> I would have managed to extract input data from another calculation (not
> a Python program) into the following text file.
>
> LOEWDIN ATOMIC CHARGES
>   ----------------------
>      0 C :   -0.780631
>      1 H :    0.114577
>
> What I need to do is extract the floating point numbers into a Python file

>From previous posts we know you can extract a line of text so really you
are asking how to extract a floating point number from a string.

>>> s = '     0 C :   -0.780631'
>>> fps = s.split()[-1]   # get the last item from the split string
>>> val = float(fps)
>>> print( val )

Or in one line:

val = float( line.split()[-1] )

Obviously if the number were not at the end you would have to use
the appropriate index instead of -1...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site