[Tutor] Accessing Yahoo with Python?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Sun Oct 9 15:23:42 EDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> I realize that my question is not about the standard library. The only
> reason I am asking here is, if I remember correctly, a regular contributor,
> Danny Yoo, works at Yahoo. I am hoping he, or someone else here can help me
> understand what is happening.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for remembering me!  Unfortunately, I do not work at Yahoo.

> I am writing a program using the yahoo_finance module. Over the past week I
> have been testing and refining it. At first the only errors I was seeing
> were mine.  Lately I have been a lot of these errors.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/yahoo_finance/__init__.py",
> line 120, in _request
>     _, results = response['query']['results'].popitem()
> KeyError: 'query'

Let me check... ah, it looks like this issue is known as a bug in the library:

    https://github.com/lukaszbanasiak/yahoo-finance/issues/48

    https://github.com/lukaszbanasiak/yahoo-finance/issues/44

It looks like the developer of that third-party module knows there is
a problem and trying to resolve it.  You'll probably want to watch
that bug for progress.

Best of wishes to you!