[Tutor] "List" object is not callable

Jason N. nymcity at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 16:15:35 EDT 2016

Thank you all for your responses.
I am using Py 2.7 and this time I copied and pasted the code from here: http://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/python/57/python-ping-subnet.html to my system but received the same error when I ran it.
You can see the error screenshot here: https://unsee.cc/sonezima/ Thank you.

    On Saturday, April 30, 2016 11:12 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

 On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 06:51:17PM +0000, Jason N. via Tutor wrote:
> Hello,
> I found this simple script online but when I execute it I get the
> following error: "TypeError: 'list' object is not callable" Here is
> the code sample:
>
> import subprocess
> ls_output= subprocess.check_output(['dir'])

The code snippet works fine.

Please check that the code you send is exactly the same as the code you
are actually trying to run. Do not just retype the code from memory,
copy and paste it.

Also, please copy and paste the full traceback that you get, not just
the final error message. Everything from the first "Traceback" line to
the end.

Finally, you should tell us what version of Python you are running, on
what operating system (Linux, Mac OS, Windows XP, Windows 10, Android,
something else), and whether you are using the standard Python
interactive interpreter or something else (IDLE, iPython, Anaconda,
PyCharm, etc.).

--
Steve
Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org