[Tutor] Best tool for programming interactive games in Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 29 15:19:38 EDT 2016

On 29/03/16 19:03, Lisa Hasler Waters wrote:

> I have a few students who are interested in creating interactive games in
> Python. We have learned how to use tkinter but we are looking for something
> more robust.

I'm not sure what you mean by robust. Tkinter is fine for
low speed/non-graphics intensive type games but probably
a bit clunky for graphics. But it should be robust in
the sense of reliable...

> I tried using pygame but cannot seem to get it initialized. I
> continually get this error:

> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pygame/base.so:
> no matching architecture in universal wrapper

Sounds like you installed the wrong version of pygame for your Mac.
The pygame support forum are probably the best folks to ask for specific
issues like this.

PyGin and Albow are other games based frameworks you could
investigate. And of course there is OpenGL which plays very
well with MacOSX.

Try this link for more:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonGameLibraries

HTH