[Tutor] Cmd line not correctly interpreted

Alan Outhier unclesudz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:01:48 EDT 2016

I'm working on a Python script to call "sox" to convert ;ogg files to .mp3s.

In the following segment...:

*1    outname=fname+".mp3"2    fname=ReSpace(fname)   # substitute " " with
"\ "3    outname=ReSpace(outname)4    cmdline="sox " + fname + " "
+outname5    print cmdline6    rtncode=os.system(cmdline)7    if rtncode <>
0:8        print "Bad return code (" + str(rtncode) + ") from sox
command"9        sys.exit()*

...I DO get the error trap (every time). Line 5 causes the following (for
example) to be printed:

*sox Carnegie\ Hall\ Jazz\ Band/Carnegie\ Hall\ Jazz\ Band/Frame\ for\ the\
Blues Carnegie\ Hall\ Jazz\ Band/Carnegie\ Hall\ Jazz\ Band/Frame\ for\
the\ Blues.mp3*
*Bad return code (512) from sox command *

I can however cop-past that output to bash and it works fine.

I get similar (but *as expected* more complicated problems if I comment out
lines 2 & 3.

Please help! I'll send the whole program if requested.

Many Thanks,
Al