[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 143, Issue 15

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 10:44:58 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 9:57 AM, yehudak . <katye2007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not a question, just ranting.
>
> My 2 commonest coding errors are forgetting the : before a block, and
> mismatch between the number of ('s and )'s. The error message is a simple
> 'Syntax Error', but the line quoted is not the offending line. I would love
> a much more explicit 'syntax error'.
>
> Anyone here in good relations with Guido van Rossum?
>
> Yehuda
>
> I'll see your rant and raise you one more:

Please don't respond to a journal posting without deleting everything
except what is relevant to your question.

The reason you don't get the error line correctly, is that the parser
doesn't know it is an error until it later encounters something confusing.
When you don't see the error on the line that was given, look up a line or
two.