[Tutor] OT: How best to use Git for multi-directory projects?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 15:41:49 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Martin A. Brown <martin at linux-ip.net> wrote:

> Hello there boB,
>
> Hey, wait a second!  What time zone are you in?  You can't have 2016
> resolutions already.  Not even the New Zealanders are there yet!

Santa gave me a peek into you know who's time machine!

>>My thoughts are that each project should have its own .git file.
>
> N.B. this is not a Python question, but ... do you mean .git
> directory?

My bad!  Of course, you're right!

>>I WILL study--in parallel--the following three books from cover to
>>cover, doing ALL non-trivial exercises:
>>    "Think Python, 2nd Edition" by Allen Downey
>>    "Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python, Revised and Expanded Edition" by John V. Guttag
>>    "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes
>
> (Side note:  I do not know any of these three books.)

I have now acquired so many Python books, that I need to stop
dithering around and actually study one or more thoroughly, while
doing actual programming.  The three above may or may not be best
choices, but surely they're better than my current Easter-egging
approach to Python?!?

The first book is available both in print and online.  Its Python
version started out as "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist:
Learning with Python" and now has been updated for Python 3.  Its
online version can be found at:
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

The second book is loosely the course text for MIT's Open Courseware
course, Introduction to Computer Science and Programming at:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/index.htm

The third just came out in print and I just liked how the author wrote.

> Reading cover to cover is one way to go about it.  I think that it
> helps to balance such thorough and complete study of books with the
> direct experience of writing software.

Hopefully these books and MIT's course will have challenging problem
sets for me to do.

> Also, I might suggest one other reference and technique--it is more
> a generic strategy for continuous learning, here applied to
> increasing your Python proficiency.
>
> Pick one standard library module per week (or day) and read the
> whole page of documentation.  Pick a module that is relevant to some
> problem you are solving and study each function of the module.

This is a really good suggestion!

> I'm accustomed to keeping a single git repository for each distinct
> project or program I'm working on.  In the context of Python, I
> create a separate git repository for each distribution that I may
> release.  (So, if I am going to write a new "setup.py", then it is
> time for a new git repository.)
>
> To apply this approach to your case, I would make a different git
> repository for each StudyBook.

Looks like I was thinking along the correct lines for a change.
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

> P.S. Two questions:  should I buy some some YHOO stock and should I
>    sell my Euros?

Alas!  The new year is upon us and I have been tardy catching up on my
email reading...

Happy New Year!
--
boB