[Tutor] Detect the folder of a file

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:54:49 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 April 2016 at 11:11, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 09:57:19AM +0100, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
>>
>> You know, some day I must learn why people use virtual environments. Its
>> a total mystery to me. It makes a sort-of sense to me if you're talking
>> about old versions of Python before per-user site-packages were added,
>> but that's been available since version 2.6. So I don't get it.

I work with Django.  If I have a project that was written with, say
django 1.4, and it works I can leave that code to run in a virtual
environment that uses django 1.4.  Then I can create another
environment for a new project that uses django 1.9.  If I loaded the
new version of django as a system level package, this would break the
first project.

--
Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com/blog