[Tutor] changing a variable with raw_input

richard kappler richkappler at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 19:03:04 CEST 2015

Missing something obvious here, but down with the flu so I'm foggy and just
can't see it. I need to set a variable 'delay' to be used in
time.sleep(delay) later on in a script, based on user input. Something odd
is going on in setting the variable though.  Here's the snippet where I'm
trying to set the variable:

#!/usr/bin/env python

delay = 7

print("1 - Batch")
print("2 - 2 per second")
print("3 - Real Time")
choice = raw_input("Enter feed speed choice (then press enter): ")
choice = int(choice)

if choice == 1:
    print "running as batch"
    delay == 0

elif choice == 2:
    print "feeding 2 events per second"
    delay == 0.5

elif choice == 3:
    print "feeding real time"
    delay = 'real time'

else:
    print "choice not available"
    os._exit(0)

print 'delay = ' + str(delay)

If I enter 1 or 2, I get delay = 7, if I enter 3, I get delay = real time.

HUH???

regards, Richard

--

All internal models of the world are approximate. ~ Sebastian Thrun