[Tutor] A further question about opening and closing files

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Wed Sep 9 20:20:44 CEST 2015

In a message of Wed, 09 Sep 2015 17:42:05 +0100, Alan Gauld writes:
>You can force the writes (I see Laura has shown how) but
>mostly you should just let the OS do it's thing. Otherwise
>you risk cluttering up the IO bus and preventing other
>programs from writing their files.

Is this something we have to worry about these days?  I haven't
worried about it for a long time, and write real time multiplayer
games which demand unbuffered writes ....  Of course, things
would be different if I were sending gigabytes of video down the
pipe, but for the sort of small writes I am doing, I don't think
there is any performance problem at all.

Anybody got some benchmarks so we can find out?

Laura