[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 135, Issue 12

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue May 12 10:58:34 CEST 2015

In a message of Tue, 05 May 2015 09:55:32 +0100, Alan Gauld writes:
>On 05/05/15 08:17, Siya 360 wrote:
>
>> Twice i unsubscribed to this mailing list, and i still continue to get them, why?
>

>The web page is the only way to unsubscribe. Nobody else
>on the list can unsubscribe you.

This is late.  I've been away.  Putting on my mailman hat now. :)

Actually, the people who are the owners of the list _can_ do this.
That's you and wescpy.  But, of course, it's better to not cave in
to user requests to do this.  I just wanted to let people know that
this is not a limitation of mailman 2.x in case they were in the
market for a mailing list.

However, I believe I know what is going on here.  The original poster,
not cc'd on this list, was receiving his or her mail as a digest.  And,
after you unsubscribe, mailman has to figure out what to do with the
digest that was in the process of being assembled for you.  So digest
readers often get one, and in some odd circumstances 2 copies of
the digest they no longer want to receive.

However, it is easy to check if the account is still around if you
are a list admininstrator ... and that is often a good idea, because
people do get into trouble by unsubscribing a different account than
the one where they are receiving mail, with the perfectly reasonable
outcome that the mail keeps on coming.

Best,
Laura