[Tutor] Is there a 'hook' to capture all exits from a python program?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 19 00:55:34 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:59:35PM +0000, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 18/03/15 18:28, Doug Basberg wrote:
> >I do real-time controls programming and I control a relay in a python
> >program that must be turned off before the program ends.
>
> You don't say what your environment is but you should be aware
> that Python is not really a suitable tool for real time
> programming, especially if it safety critical. The same applies
> to most(all?) scripting languages and especially if running
> on a time sharing OS like Unix or windows.

I wouldn't want to use Python to control the critical parts of a nuclear
reactor or a plane's autopilot, but people use it to control mechanical
devices in near-real-time. There's an old-timer, Gene Heskett, on the
comp.lang.python newsgroup who (I think) uses Python to drive some sort
of circuit board mechanical etching machine.

Using Python to control (say) an Arduino is pretty popular too.

But I guess you'll rightly say these things don't count as "real-time".

--
Steve