[Tutor] string delimiters

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 00:13:24 CEST 2015

On 03/06/2015 22:16, Alex Kleider wrote:
> On 2015-06-03 12:53, Alan Gauld wrote:
>> If this is really about parsing dates and times have
>> you looked at the datetime module and its parsing/formatting
>> functions (ie strptime/strftime)?
>
> I asssume strftime gets its name from 'string from time.'
> What about strptime? How did that get its name?

'f' for format, 'p' for parse, having originally come from plain old C.
  More here
https://docs.python.org/3/library/datetime.html#strftime-and-strptime-behavior

As Alan has hinted at earlier in this thread, if you're using dates
and/or times it's certainly far easier to use the built-in functions
rather than try to roll your own.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence