[Tutor] Trouble using bioread to convert files from .acq to .mat

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Tue Jun 2 10:45:29 CEST 2015

In a message of Mon, 01 Jun 2015 15:50:26 -0400, Ila Kumar writes:
>Hello,
>
>I am a new Python user attempting to use bioread (
>https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bioread/0.9.5) to convert files from
>aqknowledge to matlab. I am using a 64-bit PC, and I have downloaded
>Matlab, Python, numpy, scipy and bioread. Can someone walk me through the
>installation process for this package? I can't seem to get it to work.
>
>Thank you so much for your help!!

You are getting something like:
Command python setup.py egg_info failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-T3JieI/bioread
Storing debug log for failure in /home/lac/.pip/pip.log

when you run pip, correct?

So you go read the package documentation and discover that bioread
uses easy_install (which you are beginning to learn to hate) instead of pip.

So then you try that and you get crud like this:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools/sandbox.py", line 43, in _execfile
      exec(code, globals, locals)
        File "/tmp/easy_install-PGpger/bioread-0.9.5/setup.py", line 3, in <module>
	ImportError: No module named ez_setup

Correct?

If this is your problem, go install this package:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ez_setup

And then install bioread, still with easy_install

If this isn't your problem,
write back with more of what is not working, please.

Hope this is it :)
Laura