[Tutor] Design question: Web-based vs. desktop-based vs. desktop-based with data backed up to web server with a tablet thrown in for all cases?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 19 09:56:39 CEST 2015

On 19/07/15 07:27, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> If you use SQLite for the data storage, it should have a simple "dump"
> function that would let you export the database to a standard SQL dump
> format, and reconstruct the database from said dump if needed. Otherwise
> you would have to write your own export/import routines.

SQLite is a single file database so you shouldn't need to dump/load it.
Just save the file. That's why I suggested Dropbox or similar since you
get the benefit of a local copy with automated backup to the cloud.

SQLIte provides no login/user access control but the Cloud will provide
visibility control so only approved users can access the
file. (Of course they can copy it anywhere they want so its not
as good as full server based access but for a few users/devices
it should be sufficient)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site