[Tutor] Potential problem with Game Over 2.0 problem in "Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 3rd Ed."

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:47:44 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Joel Goldstick
<joel.goldstick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 4:05 PM, boB Stepp <robertvstepp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
>>> On 02/17/2015 02:12 PM, boB Stepp wrote:

>> This seems to be the case. On a related note, I wanted to copy and
>> paste the author's source code, showing how he generated the large,
>> "Game Over", but my Gmail keeps collapsing the white space, making the
>> result look like gibberish. So far I cannot find a setting to
>> eliminate this undesired behavior. Argh!
>
> Do you have gmail set to plain text mode?
What I just sent out, that showed what I wanted to show, was not plain
text, but Google's fixed-width font. Of course, turning that on took
away plain text mode. I had a couple of years ago or so (Whenever it
was that I started working with Python and interacting with the Tutor
list.) installed the Stylish extension to Gmail and set up a plain
text, fixed width font. Somehow that font has been removed from my
Gmail settings with no known action on my part. I did not notice it
until today when I tried to reproduce the ASCII art under discussion
in this thread and found that I could not.

So apparently I can do plain text, but not fixed width, or I can do
fixed width, but not plain text! At least until I come up with a
solution. Heavy sighs!

--
boB