[Tutor] Introductory questions on test-driven development and implementing Git version control.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 25 02:46:18 CEST 2015

On 24/04/15 23:52, boB Stepp wrote:

> There is just lil ol' me. I will have to research SCCS.

SCCS is great for a single, small team. It's marginally more complex
than more modern tools and it only works sensibly with text files
(binaries are just uuencoded which is pretty pointless!).

Basic usage is very simple:
1) create an SCCS directory in your project space - or you wind up with
version files all over the place!
2) use the admin -i command to tell sccs to manage a file
3) use get to get a read only copy or get -e to get an editable one.
(use -r to get a specific version)
4) use delta to save changes (it prompts you for change comments etc)

There are a bunch of other reporting and searching and admin
commands, but the above is all you need 90% of the time.
More modern versioning systems are better but SCCS should already
be installed on Solaris 10 if you have the development tools
installed, which I'm guessing you do or pretty much
nothing code-wise would work.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site