[Tutor] how do I set variables in Python 3.4

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 13 07:59:59 CEST 2014

Hi Danielle, and welcome.

Others have already replied to your post, and I'm going to reply with
pretty much the same answer:

Please help us to help you! We're not mind-readers, we need to see the
actual error messages you get, and your actual code, not just a rough
paraphrase of it.

When Python has an error to report, it will print a traceback like this:

py> x = 1
py> y = 1/(1-x)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ZeroDivisionError: division by zero

It's important to copy and paste the whole traceback, starting with the
first line "Traceback ..." to the end. Tracebacks often contain a lot of
useful information to help debugging. (Although not always: one of the
frustrations of programming is that sometimes the error messages aren't
very useful.)

You say:

> I am supposed to use operand1=2 and operand2=7

You should be able to use that *exactly* as it is (although putting
spaces around the = sign is recommended):

py> operand1 = 2
py> operand2 = 7
py> result = operand1 + operand2
py> print(result)
9

> To complete: result= operand1+operand2 etc, but I keep getting invalid
> syntax either on the " or operand1. Please help

We can't tell what you have mistyped if we don't know what you typed in
the first place :-(

Regards,

Steve