[Tutor] string indexing

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 19 21:50:30 CET 2014

On 19/01/14 19:53, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 19/01/2014 19:34, Keith Winston wrote:

>> Erm, getting what you want from help can be work.
>>
>> Help(find)  #  doesn't work at all.
>>

> How would Python know whether you want find for gettext, mmap, str,
> xml.etree.ElementTree.Element or xml.etree.ElementTree.ElementTree?

Absolutely, but a newbie doesn't even guess that more than one find
would exist. Or even that there would need to be more than one.
It's the same word so why doesn't it just work for everything?!
After all len() seems to do it that way...

That's why help() can be hard work, as Keith says, it's not always
obvious to beginners what to ask for help with.

My bad for not making that clear in my original post...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site