[Tutor] python, speed, game programming

Keith Winston keithwins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 22:53:48 CET 2014

Shoot, sorry for the empty message. Here's what I was going to say:

I am gearing up for the next project (yeah, an eventual end to Chutes &
Ladders!). It is a typing tutor, I am inclined to use it to learn Dvorak
but I would expect it easily adapted to QWERTY or anything else.

The basic idea is build a database of the key and response time of every
keystroke, with simultaneous background processing going on, based on a
customizable set of parameters to select the test text in more or less real
time. So for example, I might wish to adjust the interval at which I
revisit old material, to be sure I "get" it without becoming bored by it:
we could call this the repetition interval, and it might well be a function
that increases with time, though it might also be keyed to the speed of
recall... all responses are to be saved long-term for subsequent analysis.

My concern is with speed. This will have to keep up with (somewhat
arbitrarily) fast typing, while doing background processing, with a GUI of
course. This illustrates why I was concerned about the fact that my Chutes
& Ladders game seems to run at the same speed on my 8 y.o. Core 2 Duo and
my 2 y.o. Core I7 with 3-4x as much memory. This WILL require a faster
machine and a more significant share of it's resources, if I develop it in
the direction I am thinking.

I hope Python is a good choice here, though I suppose some modules or
classes or parts will have to be recoded into something faster... Any
thoughts on this will be appreciated, including how to structure it in such
a manner that it might be more portably applied to future versions in
entirely different knowledge realms (music/midi input,
language/vocabulary/audio output, etc).

--
Keith