[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 22:50:14 CET 2014

On 6 February 2014 09:46, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 06/02/14 02:11, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> But still complex. And you're limited by the (lack of) stability of
>> Windows.
>
> Unless you are running a server a modern Windows set up is stable enough.
> Since windows 7 and 8 the core OS is far better than earlier incarnations.

I haven't had much of a chance to use Windows post-XP but even XP was
a big improvement over the Win 9x days. I don't particularly think
Windows is unstable - provided you don't install loads of rubbish. And
that's the big thing: when I get asked to fix someone's Windows
machine (e.g. by a family member or friend) the problem is usually
viruses/malware and it that sense it is unstable (although perhaps
it's better post-XP).

> I've only had one BSOD in the last 5 years and I've had at least two kernel
> panics on my Linux boxes in that time. But then I use Linux(70%?) more than
> Windows(15%?)...

My experience is similar and I've probably been doing about 70%
Windows (at the office) and 30% Linux. I've seen many more system
crashes on Linux than Windows (possible because of the radeon graphics
drivers).

> If you want to become a pro then sure Linux is great and without doubt the
> best development OS around. But for a 13 year old casual user? I doubt it
> makes much difference.

I use Linux for everything now (even my phone) but I still wouldn't
recommend it to someone who had never used it before unless I knew
that I could personally help them with it on an ongoing basis. This is
what happened with my sister and when she got a new laptop she
installed Ubuntu herself and set it up without any help. But this was
after I had previously shown her how to do it, carefully explained how
it works and showed her whatever tweaks were required to make it
usable in a "normal" way.

Oscar