[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 03:17:37 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:35 PM, David Abbott <david at pythontoo.com> wrote:
> Linux runs great on older Laptops that were the top of the line in
> their day, two nice examples with great keyboards are dell e6400 and
> ibm T61's. Linux is easy to install and set up now a days :)

FWIW linux does, but firefox and chrome don't. I've found that they
work very poorly on older machines with little memory.

I also second anyone that suggests Linux is good for learning Python.
I found it a very conducive platform to learn Python on when I first
learned, even as a new linux user -- it makes it really easy to get
everything you need, and it encourages development practices (in
particular, using a terminal, but also things like using a real text
editor) that make programming easier both short- and longer- term.

It's also not that hard to learn, especially for children, especially
compared to Python.

-- Devin