[Tutor] sorting and writing to data file

adrian asanch505 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 2 04:08:25 CET 2014

Hello community,

Newbie here.  I have a data (.dat) file with integers (2,9,1,5,7,3,9) in
it just as shown.
My instructions are to sort the numbers and rewrite them back to the
data file.

*here is my code:**
*
lab3int=[2,9,1,5,7,3,9]
lab3int.sort()
print(lab3int)
lab3int=open('lab3int.dat','w')
lab3int.write()
lab3int.close()

*here is my error message:*

[1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 9]
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "lab3int.py", line 5, in <module>
     lab3int.write()
TypeError: function takes exactly 1 argument (0 given)

I know that it is telling me that my error is in line #5.  If I put
anything in the () for lab3int.write function, then that appears in my
data file.  however, I am looking to just put the re-sorted integers
back into the data file without having to manually type each integer
manually.  Is there something that i can put into the lab3int.write() to
make that happen?

Hope my problem is clear, Thanks people
ATS