[Tutor] Learning

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 25 18:59:11 CEST 2014

On 25/04/14 12:00, Leo Nardo wrote:

> What i think would be helpful is an outline of all
> tactics and stuff I need to learn to complete a certain task that i am
> interested in.

That's true provided the task is not too complicated to start with...

> This task is to write a very basic botting program for
> a pc game.

That will only be possible if somebody on the list knows
anything about this specific game. That's by no means certain.

> Tibia(Tibia.com). The program i want to write would start out being
> one simple feature. I want my program to look at my game and see when
> my health is below a certain ammount and heal my character by typing
> in a certain spell in the console of the game.

Thats not necessarily simple. It involves interrogating another
program and interacting with it. That may be quite easy if there
is an exposed and documented programming interface but if not
its quite an advanced programming task.

> Can anyone provide such a list of start to finish knowledge

Unless you are lucky and find somebody here that knows this
particular game then I doubt it. We focus on  teaching the
fundamentals of Python and its standard library.

> something called a tibia api and I am not sure if its relevant.
 > Tibia is written in c++. Thanks :)

It depends a lot on what that interface looks like.
There is no trivial way to connect Python to C++ code
unless the interface has been designed to operate that
way, which is unlikely. It may be possible but its not
likely to be a simple job for a beginner.

What is your experience level in programming? You say you
enjoy it which implies you have some experience?
What languages have you used other than python?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site