[Tutor] How to add modules?

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 14:37:44 CEST 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
> As I'm not a windows user have no first-hand experience with the above. Once
> you have pip installed you can search the Python package index (aka "Cheese
> Shop", <https://pypi.python.org/pypi>) with

pip requires a C compiler, such as VC++ or MinGW, in order to install
source packages that include C extensions.

pip doesn't support exe installers, but these can be converted to the
Wheel format that pip 1.4 supports.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wheel

pip is great for virtual environments. But for system installations,
it's simpler to use exe/msi installers that can be uninstalled from
the Windows control panel.

> $ pip search sendkeys
> SendKeys                  - An implementation of Visual Basic's SendKeys
> function

Christoph Gohlke distributes a Python 2.7 installer for SendKeys:
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#sendkeys

The SendKeys site on rutherfurd.net is down, but archived (2012-10-25):
http://web.archive.org/web/20121025123135/http://www.rutherfurd.net/python/sendkeys

SendKeys on Bitbucket (last updated: 2011-09-16):
https://bitbucket.org/orutherfurd/sendkeys

Reimplementing the _sendkeys.c extension module with ctypes would be a
simple project. It uses the following functions from user32.dll:

keybd_event
VkKeyScanA
MapVirtualKeyA
GetKeyboardState