[Tutor] Using tkinter for cross platform application

Max Bedacht bedachtm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 03:32:33 CEST 2013

Hello;
I'm looking for a quick, if possible, solution to a problem I'm having. I
have developed an application which I'm packaging to run on Windows, Linux
and eventually OS-X. I have gone through myriad iterations, bouncing
between Python 2.7 and 3.3 and between 32 and 64 bit Linux, Windows XP and
Windows 8. At this point I can happily say that everything is working on
all platforms except Apple, which I can not test at this time.

The problem that I am now trying to resolve, which I hope is the last one,
is the following:

When running a packaged 'compiled' version on all windows platforms the
screen, while complete, is reduced by about 20% from the Linux version,
where the development was mostly done. Images seem all to be the same size,
as is the main window, but all of the text, labels and buttons are reduced
in size, not by much, but enough to be annoying. (Curiously, this size
difference does not happen in my development environment (Eclipse/PyDev).
There, if anything, the text in windows seems to be a bit larger than that
in Linux).

I seem to have 3 options at this point:

   1. live with it;
   2. adjust the image portion, which seems fixed in size, to be x% smaller
   in the Windows environment, making the overall window smaller but
   maintaining proportionality;
   3. see if there is a magic bullet to resolve this issue.

(Ubuntu 13.04 (64bit), Lubuntu 13.04(32Bit), Windows 8(64Bit), Windows
7(64Bit), Windows XP
Python 2.7 and 3.3 64Bit on the Ubuntu box.
Python 2.7 and 3.3 32Bit on the Windows boxes

Thanks;
Max Bedacht