[Tutor] Parse text with python

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 22:23:05 CEST 2013

On 17/10/2013 20:54, Danilo Chilene wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the text below:
>
> CSMP0097I 14.42.12 CPU-B SS-BSS  SSU-AA   IS-02
>
> -LAL USER CONTROL FILE-
> MAXIMUM DEFINABLE USERS    - 14999
> MAXIMUM CONFIGURABLE USERS - 11790
> CURRENT NUMBER USERS -       09692
>   USER FLUSH CRET TIME VALUE -    5
> -LAL USER FILE-
> NAME             UORD T/O O OXIT RXIT S    MAX      INUSE   PCT
> ---------------- ---- --- - ---- ---- - --------- --------- ---
> J4IB              305  15             A      1700      6666  95
>   KEYWORDS - TA/J4IB CRTSST  DYNTAC  HSSPDB
>   DELTAS - OBTAIN    0  RELEASE    0 FLUSH VALUE    0
>   DR CANDIDATE - N  REPORT - N
>   INUSE DATE - 10.17.2013
>
> END OF DISPLAY
>

> How I can grab the number 6666? My idea is to find the number 1700(this
> number never changes) and count 6 chars and the print the next 4 chars.
> But I didn't find *how to count chars and print next* on python.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Danilo F. Chilene

Use the string find method described here
http://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#string-methods to get an
offset for 1700.  Add 6 to it.  Print a slice of 4 characters starting
from this offset.  If you don't know what slicing is please read the
appropriate section here
http://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/introduction.html#strings.

--
Roses are red,