[Tutor] Issue w/ string input "for", "not", "while", "else" etc.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 27 11:54:00 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 09:45:20AM +0100, Peter Otten wrote:

> I took the freedom to report it myself:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue19808

Thanks for reporting the issue!

[off-topic]

You might like to know that the standard English idiom is "I took the
liberty" rather than "freedom".

In general, liberty is a synonym for freedom. We might fight for liberty
from oppression or freedom from hunger. However, the phrases "to take
the liberty" and "to take liberties" are a little different. Both carry
connotations of going a bit too far, both are very old-fashioned, with
the flavour of Victorian England, or perhaps as late as the 1920s.

To take liberties is (potentially) a criticism, typically spoken by a
women to a man who has been a little too enthusiastic about making
romantic advances. The image it often brings to the mind of English
speakers is of a very prim and proper young women mildly chastising a
young gentleman for being too forward with his romantic overtures (but
often with a twinkle in her eye, as if to say they're not completely
unwelcome).

Alternatively, the words may be said by an elderly matron, severely
chastising a young gentleman who has been a bit too keen on the matron's
daughter or niece (definitely NOT with a twinkle in the eye!), or
perhaps to a servant for talking back, relaxing, or otherwise not
obeying her every whim.

To take *the* liberty is less negative and more a self-deprecating
acknowledgement that the speaker has stepped out of bounds and taken on
more responsibility than he should have, but has done so from the best
of motives. (Sometimes spoken seriously, these days more often
ironically.) The image it brings to mind is of an exceedingly polite,
very proper, and hyper-competent butler or valet:

"Sir has an appointment with the bank this morning. I have taken the
liberty of laying out Sir's best trousers and tweed jacket."

Think of Jeeves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeeves

Personally, I love both phrases :-)

Does German have anything similar?  (I presume you are German.)

--
Steven