[Tutor] Output not legible when debugging with ipdb

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 20:01:45 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Walter Prins <wprins at gmail.com> wrote:
> All those arrows and codes you see are called "ANSI escape codes" or "ANSI
> control codes".  It's a way to control/signal text colour and formatting
> inline for text terminals.  I don't know whether or not it does, but if
> Windows Powershell does not support ANSI escape codes then I'd expect the
> above style of output, so either it doesn't support it, or it does but isn't
> enabled.

Windows Powershell is just another console program. It's waiting in
the background for IPython to close. The console window is hosted by
csrss.exe (NT 3.1-6.0) or conhost.exe (NT 6.1+). But otherwise you're
correct that a Windows console window doesn't grok terminal escape
sequences (its API is instead based on kernel32 functions). With
ConEmu, the original console window still exists (for standard I/O),
but it's hiding in shame.