[Tutor] Pygraphics crashed

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Fri May 17 19:55:43 CEST 2013

On 17 May 2013 17:04, eryksun <eryksun at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Oscar Benjamin
> <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Since my own Windows machine has the wrong version of Visual Studio
>> (and out IT policy won't let me change it) I use mingw. However, every
>> time I install a new Python I have to patch distutils to fix the
>> '-mnocygwin' bug that prevents current Python from working with it.
>> Why this issue (http://bugs.python.org/issue12641) is still unresolved
>> despite being fully understood two years ago I don't understand.
>
> Can you use the Windows SDK compiler?

Essentially it comes down to what I can install to my machine without
needing administrator privileges. Python and mingw are fine for that
if I apply the patch.

> It took a long time for that issue to get a patch up.  I pretty much
> agree with Éric's take on the matter, i.e. "more feedback, bug
> reports, patches and reviews from the community would help" and
> "testing the patches on your system would help".

Perhaps I should report that I've been using the patch from pretty
much the time the issue was reported (I actually got the suggestion
from stackoverflow).

I don't really agree with the comments on the issue. It was known a
long time ago that the issue was only going to get worse. When it was
first reported it was possible to simply use an older version of
mingw. Switching to Visual Studio 2010 in Python means that current
Pythons are incompatible with older mingw as well as new. This means
that no version of mingw works with the current Pythons; I don't see
how the patch could break anything now.

Oscar