[Tutor] Text Editors and Linux (was Re: exit message)

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Thu May 9 16:42:30 CEST 2013

* Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> [2013-05-09 07:47]:
> On 09/05/13 05:01, Prasad, Ramit wrote:
>
> > What I like about screen is the way sessions stay open when
> > disconnected, but I find tabbed terminals easier to scroll for
> > history. If there is a tabbed terminal that will allow split screens
> > then all the neat features I know about in screen would
> > exist...although I rarely use that feature at the moment.
>
> Can't you use screen within a tabbed terminal?
>
> Just a thought...

Actually, no (at least not for scrolling). If you scroll in a window
that has screen running, you won't scroll the content of the screen
session, which is what you actually want to see.  It will just show
what's in the buffer from before starting the screen session.  You would
still need to use the scrollback buffer in screen (ctrl-a ESC), which
again, works well, but is not necessarily intuitive.

> Or use emacs... :-)

There's always one.  You aren't helping the case for console apps with
that one at all.  :-)

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com