[Tutor] Function Return Values (or References)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 24 15:39:47 CEST 2013

On 24/06/13 18:12, John Steedman wrote:
> Hi Tutors,
>
> I'm confused by the following possible contradiction. Would someone please
> explain or point me to the right docs.

[snip confusion about parameter passing and Python's object model]

> By FACT 1  x should be a reference parameter...?
> By Fact 2 x would seem to be a copy...?

Function arguments in Python are *neither* passed by reference nor passed by value (copied).

Here's a post I made some years ago going into long detail about it. I hope this is helpful for you.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2010-December/080505.html

--
Steven