[Tutor] EXE Problem

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 18:41:52 CEST 2013

On 18 June 2013 23:50, Jack Little <jacklittlemc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I compiled a program in python, but the second I open it, there is a flash
> of the error, but then the cmd window closes.

I suspicion someone as new to Python, since I am, who is using Windows
and getting the annoying Windows Flash ;') So in Detail:

Go to the Windows entry box on lower left > type   cmd   for the DOS
box > hit Enter  > type python followed by the full path to your
program.

For instance, I would type:

python c:/python33/jimprogs/sympystuff.py  and hit Enter

to see the printout of a program that illustrates a quadratic equation.

Note that after you type python, the input file is to the python
interpreter, which Doesn't need those nasty Windows backslashes, so
you should use forward slashes. I have no idea why Bill Gates thought
backslashes were kewl - maybe he has a really long right little
finger. Or he was trying to pretend DOS was a better variant of Unix
(hahahahahahahahahaha)

Then you should see the result, or your syntax errors. Which you
already did if you put   pause  at the bottom of your program. But
this eliminates the need to keep doing that.

After you see that, exit() from python back to the DOS box, then
simply type python, and you get the interactive python interpreter,
where you can fool around with basic python. You also get to see your
syntax errors realtime, rather than the annoying DOS Flash.

If you're not familiar with DOS, check out basic DOS commands on
Google - you may need them. Us old fogeys, and hardcore programmers,
know DOS, but I don't assume others do in a GUI-world

But putting input() right after your program is easiest.

As for sleep, as Dave mentioned, in case you didn't get to module
imports, create a simple program like this:

import time
time.sleep(3)

Or if you want to see more than a blank screen and wonder if sleep is working:

import time
print('time to go to sleep')
time.sleep(5)
print('darn alarm clock')

One can later use IDLE or Wing 101 for more complex programs (google
them), but it really is good to know how to use DOS first.

And if you're not using Windows, all this typing will be useful to
someone else. But Bayesian inference tells me you most likely are ;')

Jim
Sci-fi novel in one line:
Congratulations miss, you have twins - but one is dark matter.