[Tutor] What are these two string-formatting styles called?

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 18:01:14 CEST 2013

On 14 June 2013 08:23, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> What are these two string-formatting styles called?
> '%.3f' % x
> '{0:.3f}'.format(x)

The first one is a string Expression, using % as the overloaded operator
The second one is a string method, with .format() as the method for a
string object

put   python string expression   or   python string method   in that great
teaching tool, Google.

I know this since I'm reading that part of my python book right now and can
actually remember it. Although I fell asleep on the third page of
explanations of the more convoluted ways to use {}, which can get
convoluted indeed ;')

--
Jim
A noun is just a verb with the hiccups