[Tutor] Having trouble figuring out bug

richard kappler richkappler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 01:16:56 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>wrote:

> On 14/02/13 10:14, richard kappler wrote:
>
>> I have tried to run the Google speech recognition code found here:
>> https://github.com/jeysonmc/**python-google-speech-scripts/**
>> blob/master/stt_google.py<https://github.com/jeysonmc/python-google-speech-scripts/blob/master/stt_google.py>
>>
>> I am getting the following traceback:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in<module>
>>    File "GoogSTT.py", line 43, in listen_for_speech
>>      data = stream.read(chunk)
>>    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-**packages/pyaudio.py", line 605, in
>> read
>>      return pa.read_stream(self._stream, num_frames)
>>

> Awesome!
>
> Richard, if you hang around this mailing list for a while, you will soon
> see that we tutors have a lot of trouble convincing newbies to post the
> entire traceback, not just the error message. But this is the first time
> that somebody has posted the traceback EXCEPT for the error message.
>
> Well done, you win the Internet :-)
>
> Please try again and post the entire traceback, including the error
> message at the end.
>
> Thank you.
>

> And now you see my dilemma. That's the error message, the whole bloody
thing. But for ye unbelievers out there, here's my entire screen, from the
call to the crash:

python GoogSTT.py
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect)
BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect)
BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect)
BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1614:(audioservice_expect)
BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:957:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only
playback stream
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
* listening. CTRL+C to finish.
starting record
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "GoogSTT.py", line 108, in <module>
    listen_for_speech()
  File "GoogSTT.py", line 43, in listen_for_speech
    data = stream.read(chunk)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyaudio.py", line 605, in read
    return pa.read_stream(self._stream, num_frames)
KeyboardInterrupt

So I call the script, when it says *listening I speak into the microphone,
then hit CTRL+C and everything after starting to record spits out. When I
run the script that fails not, it provides EXACTLY the same ALSA and
jackserver output, but records the wav.

regards, Richard

--

quando omni flunkus moritati