[Tutor] library:

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 22 02:11:59 CEST 2013

On 21/08/13 23:39, Chris Down wrote:
> On 2013-08-21 23:30, Alan Gauld wrote:
>> It varies but in general programming terms is a collection of functions or
>> classes that can be reused by programmers. Most languages have a "standard
>> library" and a collection of additional proprietary libraries.
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding, don't you mean "third-party", not "proprietary"
> (or is this a use of "proprietary" that I am not familiar with)?

My dictionary says:

"proprietary: protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or
produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights"

So I mean a third party library, one whose copyright is separate
from the standard library. It could, of course, be copyright free
or public domain too, so third party may be a more accurate
term here.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site