[Tutor] [OT] Replies go to individuals, not the list?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Aug 20 03:43:26 CEST 2013

On 20/08/13 10:18, Leam Hall wrote:
> All,
>
> Am I more confused than normal or if I click "Reply" should it go just to the sender instead of the list?

Ah, the perennial argument about From address munging! Google for "From address munging considered helpful" and "From address munging considered harmful" for more information.

https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=from+address+munging+considered+helpful
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=from+address+munging+considered+harmful

In a nutshell, when you send an email to a mailing list, some mailing lists leave the From address to your email address, while others edit the From address to be the mailing list itself. This mailing list performs no munging, so on this list:

Reply -> sender only
Reply To List (if your email program supports this command) -> list only

--
Steven