[Tutor] dbus.Array to string

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 04:11:36 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Marc Tompkins <marc.tompkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Will it always work?  NO.  If there are any characters in the input stream
> (the SSID in this case), .decode will fail (probably with
> UnicodeDecodeError, but I can't test it at the moment.)
>
> I don't know the WiFi spec well enough to know whether you're ever going to
> run into non-ASCII characters in an SSID

It's defined as 32 octets (bytes), but the allowed values aren't
specified. Stick with alphanumeric ASCII for interoperability.

Using UTF-8 is spec'd in the 802.11-2012 revision. There's an
SSIDEncoding field in the MLME-START.request that initiates a BSS. If
it's UTF-8, then subsequent beacon/probe response frames will have the
UTF-8 SSID field (bit 48) set in the Extended Capabilities element,
indicating that the SSID is UTF-8 encoded.

http://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/802.11-2012.html